Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

Book Review: A Life in Stitches

A Life in Stitches: Knitting My Way through Love, Loss, and Laughter
Rachael Herron
Format: Book
Good Reads

Summary:

In these 20 heartfelt essays, Rachael Herron celebrated romance novelist by day, 911 dispatcher by night, and founder of the hugely popular blog Yarnagogo.com shows how when life unravels there s always a way to knit it back together again, many times into something even better. Honest, funny, and full of warmth, Herron s tales, each inspired by something she knit or something knit for her, will speak to anyone who has ever picked up a pair of needles. From her very first sweater (a hilarious disaster, to say the least) to the yellow afghan that caused a breakup (and, ultimately, a breakthrough), every piece has a moving story behind it. This beautifully crafted and candid collection is perfect for the knitter who loves to read and the reader who loves to knit.

Review:

I read this book in about a day in a half when my wrist was hurting. It was the perfect antidote for my inability to knit for a while. I guess reading about another knitter's experience was a good substitute for knitting. I loved that most of the essays take place in Oakland, CA. I live and grew up in the area and my local yarn shop is the same as in the book. It was really interesting to see the local community though the eyes of someone else and relate to the stories. Some of my favorite of the essays were the ones where Rachel Herron talks about the online community of knitters, specifically those who read her blog. I definitely could relate to the closeness and realness of online friends even those you haven't met. One of my favorite thing about the book was that each essay was distinct and complete and perfect little snippet that could be read my it's self or in the book. I would recommend this book to any fellow knitters especially those who like Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's books.

No comments :

Post a Comment