Format: Hardback from library
Just in time for Valentine’s Day comes a confection from David Levithan that is sure to appeal to fans of Boy Meets Boy. Here are 18 stories, all about love, and about all kinds of love. From the aching for the one you pine for, to standing up and speaking up for the one you love, to pure joy and happiness, these love stories run the gamut of that emotion that at some point has turned every one of us inside out and upside down. What is love? With this original story collection David Levithan proves that love is a many splendored thing, a varied, complicated, addictive, wonderful thing.
I really like how this book was a collection of essays. Sometimes, it felt like I was reading the beginning of some really awesome stories. Others it felt like I was getting a snap shot into the characters world. All the characters were unique and complex which is hard to get in only a few pages. Some of the most notable stories for me were …
- Starbucks Boy. A simple series of meet cutes that play on the crush on the cute barista
- The Number of People Who Meet on Airplanes. I love the magic of flying in an airplane and this story made me want to jump on an airplane asap.
- Princes. Simply put I love any story about ballet. And in NYC and you have a sure winner in my book.
- A Romantic Inclination. The math/ science nerd in me loved the use of physics terms in this story. even if it was a little confusing and lost me at some points, it still managed to get the story across .
- Intersection. I feel like it was the story that tied all the other stories together. I also like the idea of fate that is expressed in the story. It manages to be philosophical while still explaining the characters story.
Though the others were also amazing.
I was not surprised by my love of this book. I have loved the other books I have read by David Levithan. I also tend to love books of essays that are almost like short stories. I would recommend this to anyone who like any of David Levithan’s other books. Or if you are looking for a book of love stories.